Solved: 1099-MISC

1099-MISC

I do not own a business, but received a 1099-MISC for attending a conference as a representative of an educational institution.  The 1099-MISC includes both my fee, as well as my travel expense reimbursement.  I believe only my fee should be reported on the 1099, as I do not have a business to deduct expenses.  Is this correct?  Thanks!

1099-MISC

The situation is not clear from what you wrote, but if you are charging the educational institution a fee for your services it sounds like you do have a business. In any case, that's how they are reporting it. They are correct to include the full amount that they paid you. Report the 1099-MISC as business income, and deduct the travel expenses as business expenses.

1099-MISC