turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mmarti485

Two State Returns - Lived in New Jersey for whole year, worked in NYC for part of year

While living the entire year in New Jersey, I worked for two companies. My first company is based in New Jersey, and all income was derived and taxed in New Jersey, this is ok. However, in October I switched companies to one that is in NYC and derived income from October to December, but again, I lived in New Jersey.

I now have 3 W-2s, one from the first company. The second company I have a W-2 for New Jersey that has Federal Income taxes withheld, Social Security an d Medical Tax withheld, but no State Income Tax withheld. The second W-2 is for New York, with no Federal/SS/Medical tax withheld, but there are State Income Tax with held.  

I am trying to figure out how to report these simaltaneously. I have tried filing both a New Jersey and New York, but am now being told I owe New York $1500 in taxes still, which makes doesnt seem to make since, as I am filing as a nonresident.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Two State Returns - Lived in New Jersey for whole year, worked in NYC for part of year

Did you Input the three W-2a EXACTLY as presented?

Even as s non-resident you would owe tax to NY.

Assuming you are using Cd/ download version , would be worth reviewing the math on the return line by line and getting comfortable it is correct

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies