Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ptx1223
Returning Member

Retired: To File or Not to File & Form 8802

Greetings,

I'm new to full retirement, and along with social security have a small overseas pension, a small 1099-B, and a small 1099-DIV. I won't be owing federal or state tax, but plan on filing form 8802 for the pension (residency certification for this year and the prior two), and I'll have to deal with section 5 and presumably prove that I didn't need to file. So any opinions on whether it's worth filing, or what I would otherwise do with section 5 of 8802? Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

For 5, you can select No-Other and indicate "Not required to file due to income amount"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ptx1223
Returning Member

Thank you. Trouble is, for the other tax periods for which I'm requesting certification, I was required to file and did. So unless I can check both yes and no and then explain 2018 on "other", I'm wondering if I'd need to pay for two separate forms. Also, upon reviewing the instructions, it suggests that I'd need to "enter the code section that exempts the applicant from the requirement to file a U.S. income tax return" (perhaps unnecessary?), and attach proof of income. It's sounding easier to just do a quick e-file. 🙂

For 5, you can select No-Other and indicate "Not required to file due to income amount"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies