turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Illinois Tax Return glitch

Works from some and not for some. Turbo tax seems to be incapable of fixing it with an update.
They seem to ignore the problem.
cazam

The fix worked but wasn’t easy to do.

I agree

Hi All,

The one that has consistently worked for everyone who has tried is Vollpreuss's solution (posted 2 weeks ago on the 4th page of this string).   Here's a cut and paste from his post:

“Was getting frustrated with the Turbo Tax recommended "fixes" not working.   Found this in  Support and it worked for me.  

Use at your own risk.  I figured I could always put back the files or reinstall if things went off the rails.

Turbo Tax:  What is your organization going to do to repair customer relations?  My refund along with many others has been held hostage by this bug that is yet to be officially resolved.   

If you are comfortable with deleting files, you can try this:

Delete the three files   ilif01.1pe, ilif02.1pe and il_ind_schsa.pdf  all dated 12/10/18.

location was C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Premier 2018\Forms\ili_18 for the first two files, 

….and C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Premier 2018\Forms\ili_18\fpspdfs for the pdf. 

This worked for several other users.

(the "Premier 2018" subdirectory will be Deluxe or Home & Business if your version is one of the other ones)”

I might also mention here that last time I re-posted this solution when people were having issues with TT's solution, they quickly responded and suggested that there was no need to do this because they had a fix . . . I think they are embarassed by the fact that they can't competently fix the issue and some of their users can . . . 

Didn't work for me. After removing files, Turbotax hangs with a spinning wheel trying to start up. When copying backup copies of file I had made, I then get "Duplicate formset" message. Recommended resolution on this according to Q&As is to reinstall TT.

It worked
But, because I had to update to e- file a return.
Nothing prints federal or state for this year or any year. Since I updated.

WTF.  IL still glitching, and I even repurchased to attempt a work around. not good. VV

Uninstalled TTax. Unfortunately, it did not do a complete uninstall and I ended up having to search registry for entries to manually delete. I then reinstalled, downloaded updates, and successfully opened the program and state tax form (including printing availability).

I still can't figure out why Intuit can't get their shirt together to prevent a problem like this occurring in the first place (or identifying a definitive fix). While I don't object to the need to reinstall a program, with TTax I always hold my breath when doing this .... my prior experience has been inconsistent as to whether the program recognizes my additional state purchases. I had no such issue this time and both my free state and paid-for states reactivated without additional cost.

JMK
Level 2

Intuit, I realize that this is primarily a support forum, but since there really is no support, I feel it’s okay to discuss other things here.

That this has gone on so long is ridiculous. 

A few questions:

1. Where are you???
  2. Do you care about all of these problems?
  3. Would you care more if it were all over mass media? I assume so.
  4. How do you plan to compensate those of us who have been loyal customers for years, and years, and years but have problems this year that you've failed to address?

I bet that Tax Act, H&R Block, and Tax Slayer will soon be offering sweet deals to TT customers who have been left in the lurch to switch to their products and they will get takers.

Do you have a retention department? If not, better start one. If you do here's a suggestion:  Give all of us who have been impacted by this a free 2019 copy of the same versions we have been struggling with.

Or, just sit there and wait for the class action lawsuit.

Your silence has been deafening.

I tend to agree with you.  TT/Intuit has done an awful job at managing and resolving this issue!

I'll consider other alternatives next year.  They should keep in mind that with the simplification of tax law, it is even easier than ever before to switch back and forth between tax preparation software providers.

CheriS
Intuit Alumni

Update: 

Instructions have been revised:

Resolution

Our Fix it tool will resolve this issue follow the steps below to download and run the tool

1. Click Here to download the tool TTDHotfixApp.zip
  2. Open the Download and extract the file to your desktop
  3. Run the tool as an admin
  4. When Done click OK
  5. Close the tool and relaunch TurboTax
  6. Click the Online menu and select Check for updates
  7. Once updates are complete reopen TurboTax Navigate through your state return to make sure all data is there and complete.
  8. Go to file tab to print the return.

Original Link

dutilr

The TTDHotFixApp appears to have resolved my issue with the Illinois state return.  I was able to print out my forms.  Thanks for the resolution!

CheriS
Intuit Alumni

@dutilr  Very pleased to know that. You're welcome!

john 5328

still cannot print IL. return .  Bad news turbotax. H&R Block next year. 

CheriS
Intuit Alumni

@john 5328  Very sorry to hear that, did this below resolution not work for you?

Instructions have been revised:

Resolution

Our Fix it tool will resolve this issue follow the steps below to download and run the tool

1. Click Here to download the tool TTDHotfixApp.zip
  2. Open the Download and extract the file to your desktop
  3. Run the tool as an admin
  4. When Done click OK
  5. Close the tool and relaunch TurboTax
  6. Click the Online menu and select Check for updates
  7. Once updates are complete reopen TurboTax Navigate through your state return to make sure all data is there and complete.
  8. Go to file tab to print the return.

Original Link

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies