Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Withdrawing stock

I have stock managed by UBS Wealth Management. I need to cash out between $30,000 - $35,000.  Do I take out for Federal (20%) and State (10%) for taxes or more?  My goal is not to pay at the end of the year.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

Withdrawing stock

Thank you for your question.  If your goal is to not owe taxes at the end of the year, tax withholding on sources of income other than a W-2 is a great idea.  

Stock generally has a basis, which is what you paid to acquire the stock in the first place, so if this is stock in a brokerage account then the full amount withdrawn would not be taxable.   If so it may also be a long-term capital gain that could be taxed at 0%, 15% or 20%.

If this is stock in a pre-tax retirement account and this is a distribution then the 20% tax rate withholding may be appropriate.  If you are under the age of 59.5 then you also want to account for the 10% penalty for an early distribution.  Not all states tax (Illinois, Iowa, Mississippi and Pennsylvania) distributions from retirement accounts, so state withholding may not be necessary .  Also only a few states (California, New Jersey and New York) and DC have marginal tax brackets exceeding 10%, so this may be too high.  

Ultimately you may want to complete a more refined calculation by using these Turbo Tax resources:

TurboTax's W-4 Calculator

TurboTax's Tax Caster tax calculator

Be well and safe @Bissawo  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Withdrawing stock

Thank you. I live in California.  I am over 60 years old. I believe my singular stock holding is considered capital gains.  I stopped depositing money into the account over 2 years ago but have been getting quarterly dividends.  Should I have them take out 20% federal and 10% tax?

marctu
Employee Tax Expert

Withdrawing stock

That is helpful.   So in most instances, taxes are not withheld from capital gains, distributions, or other income generated from such accounts. However, you may want to withhold more elsewhere or pay quarterly estimated taxes to help cover any tax liabilities produced by these assets.  I would check with your brokerage first, as this is just the general rule.  

If taxes cannot be withheld, which I assume is the case,  you can make estimated tax payments or withhold more, but only to the extent that the amount withdrawn is a capital gain.  Please check with your brokerage on what your basis in the investment is as well.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies