Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wife's health insurance. Can I deduct costs from my 1099 earings?

I went on Medicare after retiring from full-time employement which previuosly covered my wife's health insurance. We are now paying for her insurance. I am working as a 1099 consultant now. Can I deducted my wife's health costs from my 1099 earnings?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

Wife's health insurance. Can I deduct costs from my 1099 earings?

Form 7206 is the form that you would use for the Self Employed ("SE") health insurance deduction.   Line 1 allows you to enter the amount of your Medicare premiums and your wife's health insurance premiums.  Your question is worded that you both are now paying the full premium for your wife's health coverage, which to me means she is not covered by employer provided health insurance. 

In an overabundance of caution, and to cover all situations, if your spouse is covered by employer provided health insurance, which is subsidized by her employer, you would not be able to include any of her health insurance premiums on Form 7206.   Also, if you are now being covered on your spouse’s employer provide health insurance in addition to Medicare, there would be coordination of benefits, and you would also not be able to deduct both her premium and any amount for your premium on Form 7206

Thank you so much for the question @SteveA417 

Be well and safe!

Marc T.

Turbo Tax Expert

27 Years of Experience Helping Clients

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies