Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What kind of investment accounts can I get, while receiving disability SSI income.

I am on SSI income, yearly of $8000. What kind of accounts can I open for a savings for myself on a family member for the future to come. Can I get a 401k or open a trust account, Roath account. Can I invest into the stock market. Any idea and Wil u have to pay taxes on it?

Please list my options because I want to save for the future 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

What kind of investment accounts can I get, while receiving disability SSI income.

So, for visibility SSI is Supplemental Security Income .   SSI provides monthly payments to people with disabilities and older adults who have little or no income or resources.

SSI is not considered earned income. Income that is not earned, such as Social Security benefits, pensions, and unemployment benefits, is considered unearned income. Earned income includes wages, salaries, tips, and other taxable employee pay.  SSI is also not taxable.

So, a 401(k) is generally offered by an employer, so that would not be an option.  A Traditional IRA or a Roth, requires taxable compensation, such as wages, salaries, commissions, tips, bonuses, or net income from self-employment, so again not an option.

I see no reason why you could not open a bank account and/or invest in equities, bonds, etc. 

A trust account is a legal arrangement that allows a third party, the trustee, to manage assets for the benefit of another party, the beneficiary. The grantor or settlor is the person who creates the trust, so that is also an option.

With SSI being a main source of income, unless the investment gains and income are significant or you are filing a joint tax return, it is unlikely that there would be much income tax implications on the Federal level.  This is due to the standard deduction and the fact that below $47,025 of table income long-term capital gains are taxed at 0%.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer your questions @Expression  

All the best,

Marc T.

TurboTax Live Tax Expert

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
quorumof1

Hi There:

If you are retired on disability, benefits you receive under your employer's disability retirement plan are considered earned income until you reach minimum retirement age. However, payments you received from a disability insurance policy that you paid the premiums for are not earned income. 

So if  you have earned income you could be eligible for a individual retirement account, but there could also be additional limits.  Please see  

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/traditional-and-roth-iras 

DashonnonH
Employee Tax Expert

Hi,

Investing in a 401K, IRA or Roth requires earned income. Unfortunately disability income would not qualify as earned income to participate in these retirement plans. 

You can invest in the stock market; Capital gains, Interest and dividends received do not affect SSDI benefits.

Unearned income such as capital gains, interest and dividends received must be reported and may be taxed if you are required file a tax return. 

You can review the types of income that is not considered with your SSDI benefits using the link below

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-income-ussi.htm

https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook/handbook.13/handbook-1300.html

Thank you for participating today!

What is the time limit for it to stay in account 

marctu
Employee Tax Expert

There is no time limit per se for an account that is not a retirement account or other tax advantaged account.  Keep in mind though that for non-retirement accounts, the provider may have a series of fees and charges that apply.  

All the best,

Marc T.

TurboTax Live Tax Expert

What are the fees on it, Can I earn interest on it.

marctu
Employee Tax Expert

I would have no idea what the fees being charged may be.  I just wanted to caution you that fees may apply, so ask about them with the entity that you choose to invest with.   Depending upon the investment interest, dividends and capital gains could be earned.  

All the best,

Marc T.

TurboTax Live Tax Expert

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies