Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JKirby79

Want to go back previous deductions

Hello, I recently changed my deduction status to exempt so I could maximize on a bonus. Stupid as it was I went to change it back and the form was different. I used to claim 4 (Myself, Wife and 2 kids) I am not able to select four anymore and tried the calculator from IRS and now my federal tax is pennys. What can I do to get close to amount withdrawn to what I was before I stupidly made the change.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BettieG
Employee Tax Expert

Want to go back previous deductions

Hi JKirby79! 

Thanks for your question.  I suspect that you are wanting to go back to a Form W-4 which you filled out and supplied to your employer prior to 2020, when the W-4 form changed by removing personal exemptions, among other changes.

In order to accurately inform your employer as to the appropriate federal income tax to withhold, I recommend that you use TurboTax's W-4 Calculator to determine how you should fill out a new W-4 to give to your employer.  At the bottom of the calculator page, you'll be able to print a blank Form W-4 which you can fill out and provide to your employer based upon the information supplied by the W-4 Calculator.  If you have any questions about how to answer the questions in the calculator, feel free to post another question here.

I hope this is helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies