Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

w4

How do I fill out a W4 to get money deducted from my Social Security disability checks?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ClarissaA1
Employee Tax Expert

w4

When you want to have taxes withheld from social security benefits, you will complete a Form W-4V.  It's similar to a W-4, but instead of directing an employer to withhold taxes from your wages, it directs the Social Security Administration to withhold voluntary federal income tax from your social security benefits.  

Form W-4V "Voluntary Withholding Request" 

The Social Security Administration website provides a link to verify the address where you should mail your completed Form W-4V.  Social Security - Request to Withhold Taxes  Once you click the "Find office address" button in the middle of the page, you will be directed to enter your zip code.  The SSA will then provide you with the local office address and a fax number that you can use to submit your tax withholding request.  

Clarissa
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ClarissaA1
Employee Tax Expert

w4

When you want to have taxes withheld from social security benefits, you will complete a Form W-4V.  It's similar to a W-4, but instead of directing an employer to withhold taxes from your wages, it directs the Social Security Administration to withhold voluntary federal income tax from your social security benefits.  

Form W-4V "Voluntary Withholding Request" 

The Social Security Administration website provides a link to verify the address where you should mail your completed Form W-4V.  Social Security - Request to Withhold Taxes  Once you click the "Find office address" button in the middle of the page, you will be directed to enter your zip code.  The SSA will then provide you with the local office address and a fax number that you can use to submit your tax withholding request.  

Clarissa
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

w4

Thank you ClarissaA1 ! You gave me all the info I need to get it done ! Have a Great Weekend !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies