Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W-4 event - number of dependents

Hello, I got hit with a very large (for me) tax payment this April. I have one dependent on my W-4. Am I able to claim 0 dependents, and even if I have more kids, still claim 0? That way the government can keep their money and I don’t have to come up with 8k in April that I don’t have. 
Will this mess with any child dependent credits? Will the IRS flag me or claim that I have none because of the 0 on my W-4? 
Thank you,

Joe 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You are free to complete the W-4 any way you’d like. The IRS doesn’t see it. Your employer uses it to determine how much to withhold. 

marctu
Employee Tax Expert

Thank you for your question.  Well I am sorry to hear that this happened.   You do not have to have any entries in Step 3 of the W-4, and it will not raise any '"red flags" by doing so. 

I am concerned though that you owed approximately $8K though and only have one dependent.  I would suggest using these two Turbo Tax resources to check the numbers as well: 

TurboTax's W-4 Calculator 

TurboTax's Tax Caster tax calculator 

Hopefully the adjustments will result in a better result with your 2024 tax return.  Be well and safe @Joe Joe 1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies