Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tim Cox

W-4 adjustments mid year.

We just had our first child born April 23rd of this year and I'm considering making a change to my W4 to take home more from each paycheck. I am paid monthly and have been moved from an hourly position (last year) to a fixed salaried employee so there's no variation in month to month pay going forward. As like most folks I live paycheck to paycheck so owing the IRS is NOT an option. Thanks in advance for any help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LoriLeighEA
Employee Tax Expert

Whenever you have a major personal life change your W4 should be updated. We recommend using a tax calculator to make sure you are withholding enough from you paycheck, based on your income and deductions: W-4 Calculator 2024

Congratulations on your new tax deduction! You are very welcome - thanks for joining our Event today, Tim Cox!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

KanchanM
Employee Tax Expert

Congratulations to you for your new born baby!! Yes, you can change your W-4 to take home more forr each paycheck.  You can adjust your W-4 at any time during the year. Just remember, adjustments made later in the year will have less impact on your taxes for that year. The links below give you guidance on adjsuting W4 withholding. 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-refund/top-5-reasons-to-adjust-your-w-4-withholding/L8Gqrgm... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li7ybmBGyj8 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/ 

If you like my response, please give me a thumbs up 🙂

KNDavis
Employee Tax Expert

Hi Tim!

Congratulations on the new baby!  You're probably aware that parents can claim the Child Tax Credit of $2,000 per child, up to age 17.  After age 17, the credit drops to $500, as long as they are still your dependent.  

The Form W-4, Step 3 is where you would update the form to indicate you have a child under age 17.  If you indicate you have a child, your withholding will be lower, expecting that you will claim the child tax credit. 

Since you absolutely don't want to owe taxes when you file, you'll want to consider your overall tax situation to be sure you have enough withheld throughout the year.  If your spouse works, you'll want to follow the guidance on the Form W-4, Step 2.  When both spouses work, it's important to have sufficient withholding to avoid owing taxes with the tax return.

Sincerely,

Kimberly, CPA for over 30 years

@Tim Cox 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies