Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W-2 Tax Categories

What do Box 12, Box 14, and Box 15 on a W-2 mean, and how do I answer the questions from TurboTax online to file accurately? I currently work for an employer in NJ and in Box 14, it has "UI/HC/WD" in it with an amount listed next to it - what does UI/HC/WD mean and what category does this fall under/how do I answer TurboTax questions regarding this? In Box 15, it has NJ as the state, the employer's ID number, but also a second line that says "FLI" - what does FLI mean? How do I answer TurboTax questions regarding Box 12 if Box 12 is empty?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

W-2 Tax Categories

W-2 box 12 is used for a number of different things. Each entry in box 12 has a one-letter or two-letter code before the amount. The code tells you what it is. Just enter the code and amount in TurboTax as they appear on your W-2. If box 12 on your W-2 is empty, don't enter anything. Just leave it empty in TurboTax.

Box 14 can be used for just about anything that the employer wants to put there. In general there are no rules or standards for the information in box 14, or for any abbreviations that are used. However, there are a couple of standard entries for certain New Jersey employment taxes. UI/HC/WD is tax you pay for state unemployment insurance. The abbreviation that's used may vary. The TurboTax category is "New Jersey UI/WF/SWF tax."

FLI is Family Leave Insurance. It belongs in box 14, but employers often put it in the wrong place. Enter it in box 14. The TurboTax category is "New Jersey FLI tax."

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

W-2 Tax Categories

W-2 box 12 is used for a number of different things. Each entry in box 12 has a one-letter or two-letter code before the amount. The code tells you what it is. Just enter the code and amount in TurboTax as they appear on your W-2. If box 12 on your W-2 is empty, don't enter anything. Just leave it empty in TurboTax.

Box 14 can be used for just about anything that the employer wants to put there. In general there are no rules or standards for the information in box 14, or for any abbreviations that are used. However, there are a couple of standard entries for certain New Jersey employment taxes. UI/HC/WD is tax you pay for state unemployment insurance. The abbreviation that's used may vary. The TurboTax category is "New Jersey UI/WF/SWF tax."

FLI is Family Leave Insurance. It belongs in box 14, but employers often put it in the wrong place. Enter it in box 14. The TurboTax category is "New Jersey FLI tax."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies