Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Travel Expense as consultant

As a consultant I am paid for giving a talk   Usualy flights and hotel.   Can I deduct other expense like car rental and food during the trip?   Where should I add these deduction?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Lucia-B-EA
Employee Tax Expert

Travel Expense as consultant

Yes, you are able to deduct expenses associated with talks and other paid or unpaid engagements, especially if they promote your business or expertise. 

Travel expenses are best deducted in the travel lines of your Profit and Loss statement. Rental Cars, Hotel/Motel, Airfare, Uber/Lyft, Taxi, Ground Transportation are all costs that can be associated withe travel exepnses.

Meals are only deductible at 50% and Entertainment is non-deductible, so you want to make sure you are careful in regard to these costs when traveling.  

Other incidentals are not deductible if personal in nature.  Business use of wifi fees on the plane, a common cost, however, can be included, as long as you are not co-mingling with movie watching.

Something to remember, if you are adding costs on paid engagements, you may want to negotiate the costs of meals into the contract.  In so doing, you are able to include the full cost into the invoice and have the meals covered.  However, remember, you are still only able tot deduct 50% of those meals on the tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies