Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

training/start up costs

I started an LLC with the hopes of wholesaling and investing in real estate. I have since spent approx 12k on educational sales training and community memberships related to the business. How do i write off this type of expense? Note: i have not created any revenue yet.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
FranklinF
Employee Tax Expert

training/start up costs

Yes may deduct qualifying startup cost up to $5,000 in the first year. The remaining balance will be amortized over e recovery period of a 180-months.

The IRS states the following:

Qualifying costs

A start-up cost is recoverable if it meets both of the following requirements:

• It's a cost a business could deduct if they paid or incurred it to operate an existing active trade or business, in the same field as the one the business entered into.
  • It's a cost a business pays or incurs before the day their active trade or business begins.

Start-up costs include amounts paid for the following:

• An analysis or survey of potential markets, products, labor supply, transportation facilities, etc.
  • Advertisements for the opening of the business.
  • Salaries and wages for employees who are being trained and their instructors.
  • Travel and other necessary costs for securing prospective distributors, suppliers, or customers.
  • Salaries and fees for executives and consultants, or for similar professional services.

Nonqualifying costs

Start-up costs don't include deductible interest, taxes, or research and experimental costs.

For more details please access the link below:
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/heres-how-businesses-can-deduct-startup-costs-from-their-federal-taxes

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies