Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JC-20241
Returning Member

Texas New Business, W-2 & Unemployment

I started a new business and worked a w-2. I then became unemployed and received state unemployment funds for a couple months while I found another job. During that time my company received payments for work previously done that covered debt and not paid to me. I haven't done my 2023 taxes that were already due. What form should I use and did I do anything wrong when I collected personal unemployment, when my LLC received a few checks?

Total end of year I worked for 2 companies w-2, was unemployed for 4 months, & started a business llc.

Thank you for your help

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cindy4
Employee Tax Expert

Texas New Business, W-2 & Unemployment

A single member LLC is defaulted to a sole proprietorship by the IRS for tax purposes.  You will file a Schedule C and Schedule SE attached to your 1040.  TurboTax will ask you the appropriate questions to fill out the form when you indicate that you have self-employment income.

You can check with the Texas Workforce Commission here how the timing of the payments you received affects your unemployment.  They have a chat feature:  https://www.twc.texas.gov/programs/unemployment-benefits

Congratulations on your new business!  Here is a great resource for small business:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/beginners-tax-guide-for-the-self-employed...

Hope this helps!

Cindy

**Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
***Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on the "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies