Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IsaCh

Tax on federal grant given to sole proprietorship that changed to LLC

Hello, I changed my  business from a sole proprietorship to a single-member LLC in 2024 in California. In 2024, I  received a federal grant for my work, which was given to me, using my personal social security number. I am moving the federal grant funds from a personal banking account (sole proprietorship) to a business account (for the LLC). I received an EIN for the LLC.

How do I file taxes in 2025? Is this federal grant taxed just once? Will the Turbotax software guide me through this process when I file taxes next year? Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Andrew_W
Employee Tax Expert

From a tax perspective, a sole-proprietorship and a Single-Member LLC (SMLLC) are treated the same. Both are reported on Schedule C on your personal return, and TurboTax handles the business entries for this the same way, as self-employment income. When entering the business information, there is options to indicate that the business is a LLC and to enter the EIN. If you carryover your business information from your 2023 return, this section would just need to be updated to indicate that it is a LLC and to enter the EIN.

Your grant should be reported as business income, reported on Schedule C. Since a SMLLC is treated the same as a sole-proprietorship, it is not taxed twice.  

One thing to watch for in California with a LLC - California Form 568, Limited Liability Company Return of Income, must be filed along with your personal return. TurboTax can handle this form, it may generate automatically when you indicate that the business is a LLC, or can be prompted manually. Expert @PatriciaV wrote a handy guide for this here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-where-is-california-tax-form-568-in-turbo-tax-...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Andrew_W
Employee Tax Expert

From a tax perspective, a sole-proprietorship and a Single-Member LLC (SMLLC) are treated the same. Both are reported on Schedule C on your personal return, and TurboTax handles the business entries for this the same way, as self-employment income. When entering the business information, there is options to indicate that the business is a LLC and to enter the EIN. If you carryover your business information from your 2023 return, this section would just need to be updated to indicate that it is a LLC and to enter the EIN.

Your grant should be reported as business income, reported on Schedule C. Since a SMLLC is treated the same as a sole-proprietorship, it is not taxed twice.  

One thing to watch for in California with a LLC - California Form 568, Limited Liability Company Return of Income, must be filed along with your personal return. TurboTax can handle this form, it may generate automatically when you indicate that the business is a LLC, or can be prompted manually. Expert @PatriciaV wrote a handy guide for this here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-where-is-california-tax-form-568-in-turbo-tax-...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies