Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tallie LLC questions 1-31, #13

13. As the CEO of my LLC, can I deduct expenses returned by the client, considering I’m paying finance charges and interest on them? How should I handle these deductions to maximize tax benefits?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KimberW
Employee Tax Expert

To summarize, you made a purchase on behalf of a client and you were expecting to reimbursed for it by the client, but they returned it to you instead?

If you are able to return the item(s), do so. But, if you weren't able to return the items for any reason and they are deductible expenses, then you can still claim the expense even if you still have the item.

If the item is not deductible (see your previous questions and answers about clothing worn on cruise ships), then you could sell it to reduce your losses.

If possible, have your clients make at least a partial payment in advance of you purchasing things for them. Then you aren't stuck with charges on a credit card that you can't be paid back for.

Thank you for participating in this event!

-- KimberW

Thank you for participating in this event!
-- KimberW

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LindaSh
Employee Tax Expert

You may deduct expenses you pay for your business.  If such expenses are reimbursed by your clients, then you would reduce the expense amount by the amount of the reimbursement.

If the client does not reimburse you, you receive the full expense deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies