turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Solar Invoice, No Breakdown

I installed Solar in 2023 through a solar company. Their invoice/contract basically has one amount for everything that includes:

- Solar panels + inverter

- storage batteries

- EV charger

- home electrical subpanel upgrade (125a, required for passing inspection)

- new roof, gutters, fascia

I do have a separate invoice for the roof, so I can subtract that from the contract total. However, there is no breakdown beyond that. How would I go about calculating for the credit - would all of the above be eligible (minus the roof), or I need it broken down? If I need it broken down, which line items can I include? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can claim the total costs minus the roof.   If you have a breakdown of the roof components - some of the costs may qualify, see below.  If not, you know the roof cost, so you can subtract it out.   The credit is 30% and what you can't use this year carries over to next year.   The credit is non-refundable.  

Qualified solar electric property costs are costs for property that uses solar energy to generate electricity for use in your home located in the United States.  No costs relating to a solar panel or other property installed as a roof (or portion thereof) will fail to qualify solely because the property constitutes a structural component of the structure on which it is installed. Some solar roofing tiles and solar roofing shingles serve the function of both traditional roofing and solar electric collectors, and thus serve functions of both solar electric generation and structural support. These solar roofing tiles and solar roofing shingles can qualify for the credit. This is in contrast to structural components such as a roof's decking or rafters that serve only a roofing or structural function and thus do not qualify for the credit. The home doesn't have to be your main home.

IRS - Solar RCE credit

Energy.gov

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can claim the total costs minus the roof.   If you have a breakdown of the roof components - some of the costs may qualify, see below.  If not, you know the roof cost, so you can subtract it out.   The credit is 30% and what you can't use this year carries over to next year.   The credit is non-refundable.  

Qualified solar electric property costs are costs for property that uses solar energy to generate electricity for use in your home located in the United States.  No costs relating to a solar panel or other property installed as a roof (or portion thereof) will fail to qualify solely because the property constitutes a structural component of the structure on which it is installed. Some solar roofing tiles and solar roofing shingles serve the function of both traditional roofing and solar electric collectors, and thus serve functions of both solar electric generation and structural support. These solar roofing tiles and solar roofing shingles can qualify for the credit. This is in contrast to structural components such as a roof's decking or rafters that serve only a roofing or structural function and thus do not qualify for the credit. The home doesn't have to be your main home.

IRS - Solar RCE credit

Energy.gov

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies