Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social Security exclusion of benefits question

I've taken SS benefits for all of 2024 and I am still working.  I figure my wages for this year will be high enough to have the SS benefits be taxed at near the highest level (something like 85% of the benefits?).

I'm using the Turbo Taxes' Tax Calculator to see if the withholding that I'm extrapolating for 2024 is enough to avoid writing a check to the IRS against the total of wages and SS benefits as Taxable Income.

So, my question:  Is any part of the SS benefits paid to me excluded as not taxable?  I seem to think the figure is the first $12K is excluded.

Thanks.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

So, the concept here is "combined income".   Combined Income is your adjusted gross income plus nontaxable interest and half of your Social Security benefits for the year.

• If your combined income is under $25,000 (single) or $32,000 (joint filing), there is no tax on your Social Security benefits.
  • For combined income between $25,000 and $34,000 (single) or $32,000 and $44,000 (joint filing), up to 50% of benefits can be taxed.
  • With combined income above $34,000 (single) or above $44,000 (joint filing), up to 85% of benefits can be taxed.

There is no exclusion amount.  Since your preference is to not cut a check, I would assume that 85% of your Social Security is taxable.   

Thanks again for the question  @Ounce440 

All the best,

Marc 

Employee Tax Expert

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

So, the concept here is "combined income".   Combined Income is your adjusted gross income plus nontaxable interest and half of your Social Security benefits for the year.

• If your combined income is under $25,000 (single) or $32,000 (joint filing), there is no tax on your Social Security benefits.
  • For combined income between $25,000 and $34,000 (single) or $32,000 and $44,000 (joint filing), up to 50% of benefits can be taxed.
  • With combined income above $34,000 (single) or above $44,000 (joint filing), up to 85% of benefits can be taxed.

There is no exclusion amount.  Since your preference is to not cut a check, I would assume that 85% of your Social Security is taxable.   

Thanks again for the question  @Ounce440 

All the best,

Marc 

Employee Tax Expert

Ah, yes.  Combined Income.  I forgot about that term.  

Thanks for your time, @marctu 

marctu
Employee Tax Expert

You are welcome.  Thank you for your question @Ounce440 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies