Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Short-term 1099 Contractor

I started 2024 as a W-2 employee, then transitioned to a 1099 contractor for only 2 1/2 months (5/15 thru 7/31).  Now I'm back to being a W-2 employee.  Should I pay an estimated quarterly tax for the 2.5 months of contract work?  And if so, how can I determine how much?  Thanks.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
FranklinF
Employee Tax Expert

To make a Long Story Short, about 15.3% of your Self-Employment Earnings, but there is more.

You can have a more accurate calculation using a Tax Calculator where you can input the other circumstances surrounding your next year tax filing obligations.

Tax Calculator 2023 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

claywallace
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, it would be advised to pay one quarterly estimated tax payment for September 15th based on the net earnings from your self employment  (gross minus known deductible expenses) times 15.3% for SECA PLUS income tax based on the tax brackets below for 2024:

Conversely, if you want to cover the taxes that will be due for this one quarter via extra withholding via your employer, you have four more months to do so by withholding an additional dollar amount (based on the estimate above) for federal and additional income tax only for state.

Cheers!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies