Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Selling investments and taxable income

Hello! If I sell my etf holdings, is that considered taxable income and will count towards my income limits? I am worried about not being able to contribute to my roth ira if I am over 144k. Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
SwapnaM
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you will have to pay capital gain tax on the sale of ETF(sold for profit), which would increase your taxable income.

The holding period is the time in which you hold your shares. The holding period starts on the day after your purchase order is executed (“trade date”) and ends on the day of your sell order (also the “trade date”). The date you pay for the stock, which may be several days after the trade date for the purchase, and the settlement date, which may be several days after trade date for the sale, do not impact your holding period.

• If you hold ETF shares for one year or less, then gain is short-term capital gain.
  • If you hold ETF shares for more than one year, then gain is long-term capital gain.

ETFs in tax deferred accounts: When you own ETFs in a tax-deferred account, such as an IRA, there is no immediate taxation on the sale. When funds are distributed from the account, all distributions are taxed as ordinary income, regardless of what holdings and transactions generated the funds.

@jad56061 Thanks for the question!!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ahh ok so follow up, if I earned 20,000 for my investments, is that what is taxed how much I earned? Or is it based on how much I paid for it vs. how much it is now? Example like a share in Apple I bought for $100 in 2020 but now its worth $200. I would only pay $100 of the difference correct?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Correct. If you purchased the stock at $100 and sold it for $200, you would have a $100 taxable gain. 

@jad56061 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Fantastic thank you for letting me know!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies