Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rollover 401k funds upon death

If I designate my sons as beneficiaries on my 401k, can they roll the funds over to a personal IRA for themselves? I know, wishful thinking.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

Rollover 401k funds upon death

So since neither are your spouse they will more then likely need to complete a direct trustee-to-trustee transfer of inherited 401(k) funds into an inherited IRA, following rules similar inheriting an IRA. The IRS waives any early withdrawal penalties for owners of inherited IRAs so they can withdraw at any time   They can also take a lump sum distribution, though they cannot then move the funds to an IRA. 

The distributions would need to follow the 10-year rule requires that all assets in the inherited IRA must be fully withdrawn by the end of the 10th year following the original IRA owner's death.

If you have any post-tax, or Roth money in the 401(k) those withdrawals of contributions from an inherited Roth are tax free.  Most withdrawals of earnings from an inherited Roth IRA account are also tax-free. However, withdrawals of earnings may be subject to income tax if the Roth account is less than 5-years old at the time of the withdrawal.

Thanks again for the question  @monicap1  

All the best,

Marc 

Employee Tax Expert

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies