Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dr_Bard
Returning Member

RMD followup - when do I say distribution is an RMD, and when not?

Followup to earlier question:

Reply is "You simply enter the 1099R into the tax software and then answer a question in the software as to whether the distribution was an RMD.  "

So -- when IS my distribution an RMD?  

Q:  If the total of all distributions for the year exceeds RMD requirement, then do I say YES, it IS an RMD?  What if I need several 1099Rs to add up to my RMD requirement?  Then do I say YES for ALL of them, or just SOME of them?  What if my IRA administrator(s) (i.e. Vanguard, Merrill, etc.) does not force me to take RMD, but I take self-directed ad-hoc distributions myself - do I count those as RMD?

That's the nature of my question.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Alicia65
Employee Tax Expert

RMD stands for required minimum distribution. It's the minimum amount of money you're required to take out of your retirement plan if you were 72 years old in 2023 or once you turn 73 in 2023. If you have multiple accounts you must calculate the RMD for each IRA separately each year. 

Your 1099-R issuer is required to follow RMD rules and regulations, so if you received a distribution and you're at least 73 years young, you can be almost certain you received an RMD. Check with your plan administrator if you're still not sure.

If you were issued 1099R's the answer would be yes to did you take your RMD's

What is an RMD? 

IRS RMD comparison Chart 

Thank you for joining us today!

marvin2it
Employee Tax Expert

An RMD is simply a regular distribution that is not eligible for rollover and is subject to penalty if not taken.  There is no other distinction between a distribution that is an RMD and one that is not.  Therefore, to avoid a penalty calculation, enter as RMDs the amounts from your 1099Rs (which haven't been rolled over) which in total are equal to or in excess of your RMD.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies