Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aledaily

Moving from TX to NY

My fiance is going to business school in NY, and we are moving from texas to new york in a few days. I work full time. Texas has no state income tax but New York does. Will I have to pay NY income tax for the entire 2021 year, or just the portion of the year when I was living there? Also, is there a way to get reimbursed for moving expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KochuK
Employee Tax Expert

Moving from TX to NY

Hi aledaily, thank you for joining the "Ask the Experts: Moving" special forum today. I am happy to assist with your questions.

Once you move from TX to NY, you become NY part year resident. During the time in NY (move date to 12/31/2021), you report income earned during this period in NY part year resident return. The income earned while in TX is not taxable to NY.

Below is a good article for reference.

How do I allocate (split) income for a part-year state return?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/income/help/how-do-i-allocate-split-income-for-a-part-year-state-r...

Unless you are military, for everybody else, the moving expense deduction has been suspended for tax years 2018 through 2025 as a result of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act that was signed into law in late December of 2017. There is no tax deductions on moving expenses.

Hope this helps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies