Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Witless2020
Returning Member

Direct deposit account number error

I enter an incorrect account number on my 2021 taxes; can you or myself contact the IRS with the correct number or will I need to file an Amended form to have this corrected? I am in need of this deposit a.s.a.p. due to a medical situation.

Witless2020

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KeithS01
Expert Alumni

Great question. The IRS does not currently even provide the option for direct deposit on amended returns, so that won't work. Calling them won't work either. When your bank rejects the deposit, the IRS will issue a check.  Have you checked Where's My Refund? to see what the IRS shows the status is?

My concern is that, with the wrong account number, that may be someone else's account number. I would recommend that you contact your bank immediately to let them know, especially if the IRS shows they deposited the refund, so they can research, and be sure to send the money back.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Witless2020
Returning Member

I have received notice from TurboTax that the refund was deposited. Did check with bank roughly three (3) weeks after that, they ran a check for it at that time nothing showed. They suggested contacting the IRS which proves to be impossible, especially during tax season nor could I find any phone number that didn't direct me to an endless pages of FQA's on the IRS Website, which I found little to no help with my problem.

KeithS01
Expert Alumni

Hello, again, @Witless2020.

Did you use the refund transfer service, where we take the TurboTax fees out of your refund?

If so, you'll want to contact Santa Barbara Bank at https://cisc.sbtpg.com or 877.908.7228.

If not, I'd suggest checking your IRS account, and see if the Account Transcript gives you any information about the refund being returned. Alternatively, you can file Form 3911 with the IRS to trace your refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies