Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KWMalone

Quarterly taxes

If I'm running a business that brings in less than $5K a year do I have to pay quarterly taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
dsoile
Employee Tax Expert

Quarterly taxes

Hello KW

Here are questions to answer for determining whether or not you need to make quarterly tax payments:

1. Will you owe less than $1,000 in taxes for the tax year after subtracting your federal income tax withholding from the total amount of tax you expect to owe this year? 
  2. Do you expect your federal income tax withholding to amount to at least 90 percent of the total tax that you will owe for this tax year?
  3. Do you expect that your income tax withholding will be at least 100 percent of the total tax on your previous year's return? 

If you answer no to all these questions, then you must make quarterly tax payments.

KWMalone

Quarterly taxes

I don't even know how to answer these questions. How do I know what my federal income tax withholding will be? Last year I had a federal refund, if that helps. 

KWMalone

Quarterly taxes

@dsoile I don't even know how to answer these questions. How do I know what my federal income tax withholding will be? Last year I had a federal refund, if that helps. 

dsoile
Employee Tax Expert

Quarterly taxes

Federal withholding is basically federal tax withheld from your pay by your employer (this will be on your W2). Since you mentioned that you received a refund for previous tax year, then chances are more likely than not you won't need to make estimated tax payments for the current tax year since you did not have a tax owed balance for previous tax year. However, if was that you owed taxes in the previous year, more likely that not, you would need to make estimated tax payments for current tax year, so you can hedge for not paying an underpayment penalty for taxes. Again whether or not and how much in quarterly payments to be made, will depend on your income circumstances for the current year, assuming the circumstances from the prior tax year still hold up for the current tax year plus the hypothetical (running your business bringing in less than $5K). Since, the hypothetical will be a self-employed/contractor-type activity, you would be responsible for making the taxes, thus your federal withholdings will be the estimated tax payments you would make quarterly. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies