Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Quarterly Filing

My wife and I file married filing jointly.  I have a full-time job with a W2.  My wife has a part time job with a W-2, but in 2023, she took on a small side gig.  She got a 1099-MISC and when I did our taxes, we of course put this as part of our overall income.  Since she did not have normal payroll taxes taken out, we ended up having to pay a small amount of federal income taxes when we filed.  To offset this, in April, I started taking out more taxes every pay period so in the end, we will not have to pay anything when we file.  In fact, we should get back some as I normally always would.  

Do we have to pay something quarterly?  We have never had to do this?  If I do, all it is going to lead to in the end is I will be due much more money when I file my 2024 tax return.  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

Quarterly Filing

I want to commend you on going ahead and doing the math to see what your current tax position.  Pre-planning is super important when you are earning money when self-employed.  If your self-employed net income is not significant, I often advise clients to adjust their Form W-4, which  you already did.   So, if your calculations are showing that you are well withheld go with that.  So since you have calculated that even with the self-employed income you both will still be getting a refund there is nothing else to do.

Thank you for your question and kudos on a job well done in planning ahead.  

Thank you so much for your question  

Be well and safe!

Marc T.

Turbo Tax Expert

27 Years of Experience Helping Clients

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies