Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Previous taxes

Hi, 

my husband and I separated last year and he used to do taxes due to his business. When I tried to do my taxes filing married but separate for 2023 I found out that the taxes he did for 2022 weren’t filed correctly. I sent in my taxes for 2022 but I haven’t received any information. I filed for an extension for 2023 but it’s getting close and I still have yet to hear about my 2022 taxes. What can I do ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
OpeA1
Employee Tax Expert

Previous taxes

Hello Huertae12!

Our advice will be that you file the your 2023 return before the extension deadline on October 15, 2024. The IRS looks at each year's taxes independent of each other. Therefore, wait for the IRS to respond to your 2022 separately from the 2023 return.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Previous taxes

awesome, do I need my 1040 or any information from 2022 to do my 2023 taxes ?

KarriC
Employee Tax Expert

Previous taxes

You may need information from the 2022 return if any of the following apply to you:

• you are depreciating assets for a business or rental
  • you have carryforwards
  • you received a state refund

If you are preparing your return in TurboTax and are in the same account you prepared your 2022 return in, TurboTax will automatically carry forward any information that should be carried forward. Isn't that great!

And as Ope mentioned, each year is looked at separately, so get that tax return filed before the deadline!

I know how hard it is when you're taking on "new to you" tasks, especially when they might be a bit intimidating. Just know that we are here for you! We'll help you become a confident tax filer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies