Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PAYROLL FOR MY EMPLOYEES IN VIRGINIA

Hi, I have a single-member LLC in VA, and I have  FEDERAL EIN under my LLC. However, I got an Employer State ID under my fictitious name, which is different from the name of my LLC. Is it okay to run payroll for my employee, or should the Employer State ID match the name of the LLC? Also I opened business bank account under LLC 's name.

Thanks for help!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Loretta P
Employee Tax Expert

PAYROLL FOR MY EMPLOYEES IN VIRGINIA

Hello Sam Hopi,

If the Federal EIN of the LLC and the fictitious name (DBA) are the same, it should be ok as the IRS matches on the EIN not the name.  At the state level, many states do require a separate state EIN for reporting state payroll taxes.  

Here's what the IRS says regarding EIN.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/do-you-need-a-new-ein 

A single-member LLC is treated as a disregarded entity - (a sole proprietorship) as long as it remains single-member you do not need a new EIN if you change the name of the business.  For Example:  If you operate 5 single-member LLCs each performing different activities that require separate schedule Cs filed, you use the same EIN for all 5. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies