Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Vladim

outside of US

I worked in the US only until May, and then lived outside the US for half of the year. Just had one W2 form. Should have I done something differently, for example file a different form? I just filed like every other time and my federal refund turned out to be significantly larger. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

outside of US

Just to clarify, are you saying you lived inside the U.S. until May as a resident or citizen and then moved out of the country?  Or were you here only temporarily and have always been a nonresident?   

There are 2 factors that need to be considered when determining your residency status:  the green card test or the substantial presence test.  The green card test essentially means you have permission to reside in the United States.  The substantial presence test means you were physically present within the US for at least 31 days during the current year, or for 183 days during a three year period over the last 3 years.  Please see this link for more details to help you determine which one you are based upon your specific circumstances.

If you have always lived here and just moved overseas temporarily and if you are still considered a US Citizen or resident, then you would file a Form 1040.  You could be entitled to a foreign earned income exclusion if you earned income outside of the country.  Please see this link for more details on how to file taxes when you live overseas.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies