Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stanleytady
Returning Member

NY State File online vs. via mail penalties

Hello, unfortunately on 4/15 when I was filing my taxes, TurboTax wouldn't let me file my NY State taxes online (just my Federal). I unfortunately missed the date to physically mail my materials in which I know TurboTax doesn't recommend. Since I had missed the date and mailed in the letter late, are there any tax or financial consequences that you guys are aware of that I may be subject to? Thank you! 

Take care & have a great day ~~ 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

It depends on when your state return was received by NYS and your balance due. If you file late, New York State will charge a penalty unless you have a valid extension of time to file.

The penalty charge is:

• 5% of the tax due for each month (or part of a month) the return is late, up to a maximum of 25%.
  • If your return is more than 60 days late, your minimum penalty is the lesser of $100 or the total amount due on the return.

For more information, please see Interest and Penalties. You can also use this Penalty and Interest Calculator to calculate your estimated amount due.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

It depends on when your state return was received by NYS and your balance due. If you file late, New York State will charge a penalty unless you have a valid extension of time to file.

The penalty charge is:

• 5% of the tax due for each month (or part of a month) the return is late, up to a maximum of 25%.
  • If your return is more than 60 days late, your minimum penalty is the lesser of $100 or the total amount due on the return.

For more information, please see Interest and Penalties. You can also use this Penalty and Interest Calculator to calculate your estimated amount due.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
stanleytady
Returning Member

Thank you kindly for your response along with the accompanied links provided~

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies