turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mtang
Returning Member

non qualified plan deferred comp on W2 box 11

on form NYS IT 203 non-qualified comp is shown and reported on line 16 in federal column and accounted for computing tax for NYS. Question is should this be also shown in NYS column line 16? If so then NYS is taxing non-qualified comp along with federal and getting taxed twice. Is that correct? 

After little bit of research, I found out its not taxable in NYS because it is considered federal income and derived from state sources and it will not be subject to NYS income tax, therefore should not be included in calculation of NYS tax percentage. 

Please advise if I am doing correct by not including in NYS column line 16 on IT 203 

Thank you for your help and advice. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To clarify, were you a non-resident of NYS for all of 2023? How did this distribution get reported? Was it on a W2 or some or another form? 

[Edited 03/28/24|1:38 pm PST]

@mtang 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mtang
Returning Member

Non resident of NYS for full 2023 year . non-qualified comp is reported on W2 box 11 and included in Box 1 as total wages also. 

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

As long as your non-qualified plan is paid by either New York State or a local government then it is not taxable to New York and you are correct not to include it on the New York side of line 16.

@mtang 

mtang
Returning Member

that's great. thanks a lot! 

also how do I know if it's paid by NYS or local govt since i got it from my employer? where can i check and verify it - plz let me know. thanks again! 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Go back to your state return and go through each of the allocation screens when they appear. if this particular income needs to be allocated, leave the NYS blank. You should not be taxed for a non-qualified distribution if you are not a resident of NYS.

What RobertB4444 is referring to is if this was a distribution from a non-qualified pension plan but this isn't the case here.

mtang
Returning Member

No, this isn't the distribution from the non-qualified pension plan but distribution from my non-qualified plan after I lost my job at a senior level in NYC. I am NJ resident. 

I will go back to NYS return and leave the allocation screen blank or enter zero where it is needed. 

Thanks for your help and advice in clarifying the doubt i had. Thanks again.!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies