Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

maribelpronail
Returning Member

NEW LLC BUSINESS

I started an LLC in state of Texas in May and did not know about SE quarterly taxes. Can I wait till the end of the year to do the LLC taxes since I've missed the first 3 quarters? Will there be any penalties for missed quarters?

What is the tax rate in the state of Texas?

Will taxes for my LLC business affect my personal taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

NEW LLC BUSINESS

So I am assuming based upon your question and fact pattern that this is a single member LLC.  The third quarter ends on August 31, 2024, with the payment being due on September 16, 2024, so you have not missed the third quarter.  I would go ahead and pay the first three quarters on or before September 16, 2024, to help mitigate any underpayment penalties.  Then go ahead and pay the fourth quarter on or before January 15, 2025.  You can go to IRS Direct Pay to make a payment.

Since there are no facts related to if you have net income, addressing the question of a penalty is difficult in the abstract.   You usually must pay self-employment ("SE")  tax if you had net earnings from SE of $400 or more.  Generally, the amount subject to self-employment tax is 92.35% of your net earnings from SE.

The IRS will not charge you an underpayment penalty if: You pay at least 90% of the tax you owe for the current year, or 100% of the tax you owed for the previous tax year, or you owe less than $1,000 in tax after subtracting withholdings and credits. 

While Texas does not have an income tax, a SMLLC is a taxable entity for Texas franchise tax purposes, regardless of whether the limited liability company is disregarded for federal tax purposes.  I would direct you to go here for more information: Franchise Tax Keep in mind that the Franchise tax, since it is not an income tax is not a form supported by Turbo Tax. 

Thank you so much for your question   

Be well and safe!

Marc T.

Turbo Tax Expert

27 Years of Experience Helping Clients

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies