Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Name problem

Hello good day, 
I received my cheque and I was so delighted upon receiving it.
I am from foreign country and trying to deposit my cheque at a local bank. Although I’ve put my full name on turbotax and all the needed information and everything else on that check is correct they told me they’re not accepting my cheque because it’s not a complete name, the second name on my given name is missing on the cheque, Since it doest have my full-full name they cannot accept my cheque. 
I want to push through this and get my tax return money, but I have to make sure that IRS will accept my check. 
Is it possible that even though my second name missing I would still get my money?

I hope to get an answer soon, thank you for your understanding. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

Name problem

If you requested a direct deposit of your refund, but your name at the bank didn't match the name on your return, then the bank may have rejected the direct deposit. However, if it was rejected by the bank then the IRS will issue you a paper check for the refund instead to your last known address on file. Once you've received the check in the mail, the IRS cannot compel a bank to cash it for you. But, there are many places that will cash refund checks that are not banks. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Name problem

Even though having not having the second name on my cheque, would IRS still accept my cheque for cash out? 

HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

Name problem

Each bank and check-cashing facility will have their own requirements for cashing a tax refund check and verifying your identity. 

If you are still unable to cash your refund check, then you can return the check to the IRS and use Form 3911 to have the IRS issue a new check in your full name or to an authorized representative instead. You may also want to contact the IRS or Taxpayer Advocate Service for additional help. 

Name problem

If I use the turbotax amends to fix my cheque name will it work and get my tax return or amending only means fixing the information and them keeping the money? 

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Name problem

Amending your return will not solve the issue with the check you have already received. You'll need to work with a local bank to resolve this issue or follow HollyP's instructions to file Form 3911 to request a new check from the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies