Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife and I are 73 this year, so what is the Required Minimum Distribution amount we should take out of our IRA?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KimberW
Employee Tax Expert

My wife and I are 73 this year, so what is the Required Minimum Distribution amount we should take out of our IRA?

The RMD calculations will be completely separate for you and for your wife.

The amount of your RMD depends on the balances that each of you have in your various retirement accounts and is usually calculated for you by your brokerage. If you have accounts with multiple brokerage companies, remember that they only have the information that you tell them. Each one will give you an RMD calculation based on the balances of the accounts held at their institution. 

It is up to you which account you take your RMDs out of, though. If you have three accounts with different brokerages and the RMD for each of those three accounts is $10,000 -- then you have to take out $30,000. But you can take that all from a single account or divide it up however you would like. Again, though, your RMDs and accounts are separate from your wife's.

The IRS does provide information on how to calculate these amounts yourself, if you want to dive in with your favorite calculator. All of the Q&As on the IRS's Retirement plan and IRA Required Minimum Distributions FAQs page are useful, but #4 is the one with the calculation information.

Note: since you turned 73 this year, you could choose to wait to take your first RMD until next year, as long as you've done so by April 1. But, if you do that, then you'll have two withdrawals next year -- your first one and the regularly scheduled one that must be taken by December 31 of next year.

Thank you for participating in this event!
-- KimberW

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KimberW
Employee Tax Expert

The RMD calculations will be completely separate for you and for your wife.

The amount of your RMD depends on the balances that each of you have in your various retirement accounts and is usually calculated for you by your brokerage. If you have accounts with multiple brokerage companies, remember that they only have the information that you tell them. Each one will give you an RMD calculation based on the balances of the accounts held at their institution. 

It is up to you which account you take your RMDs out of, though. If you have three accounts with different brokerages and the RMD for each of those three accounts is $10,000 -- then you have to take out $30,000. But you can take that all from a single account or divide it up however you would like. Again, though, your RMDs and accounts are separate from your wife's.

The IRS does provide information on how to calculate these amounts yourself, if you want to dive in with your favorite calculator. All of the Q&As on the IRS's Retirement plan and IRA Required Minimum Distributions FAQs page are useful, but #4 is the one with the calculation information.

Note: since you turned 73 this year, you could choose to wait to take your first RMD until next year, as long as you've done so by April 1. But, if you do that, then you'll have two withdrawals next year -- your first one and the regularly scheduled one that must be taken by December 31 of next year.

Thank you for participating in this event!
-- KimberW

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your answer, it was very helpful.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies