Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Dog

My husband uses our dog in his advertising, billing, etc.  She is also a guard dog but not certified as such.  She is a Cane Corso, Italian Mastiff.  Can expense such as vet costs and food be expensed?  If so, where do we expense that?  Advertising or other?  He is a independent contractor.

Thank you,

Sandra [removed]

[email address removed]

[phone number removed]

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
jashley
Employee Tax Expert

My Dog

The cost of caring for a service-animal would be considered a medical expense and deductible on Form1040, Schedule A, Line 1.  Costs of care would include food and veterinary care.  You would need to provide a doctor's note of what specific medial need the animal provides (ie guide dog).

The cost of fostering a pet for a qualified 501(c)(3) adoption organization would be deductible on Form 1040, Schedule A, Line 11.  Costs include food, veterinary care, supplies, and transportation.

Performing pets may qualify for deductions if they generates taxable income such as movies, influencers, or cash prizes in competitions and events (ie Great American Dog Show).  Make sure to keep adequate records of the income and expenses.

Our recent blog goes into more detail: https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/can-i-claim-my-pet-as-a-dependent-53/

My Dog

Let me clarify.  This is not a service animal.  She is a mascot of sorts.  she attends events, she is featured on business cards, advertisements, invoices, car magnets and more.  Since she is a core feature of the ads, can she be written off...like the Anneihesuer Busch Horses for the beer ads ...so to speak?

Thanks!

jashley
Employee Tax Expert

My Dog

If your dog generates taxable income then the costs of care could be considered a business expense.  It would be easiest to track if your dog had their own revenue stream (ie dog shows).  However, since the revenue stream is in your existing business, you would need to document how the dog adds value.

Unfortunately, there is no deduction as a guard dog unless they are certified as such.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies