Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My dog is a star!

Like the horses in the busch beer ads, my husbands dog is at the forefront of his advertising.   Invoices, business cards  ads, etc all feature our dog.  He feels it attracts people and is a conversation starter for his busnness.  Can he wrtie off the dogs vet and food costs?

She is NOT a service animal but included in ads.  Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AbbyS
Employee Tax Expert

My dog is a star!

Yes, your dog’s vet and food costs may be deductible! For an expense to be deductible, the IRS states it must be “ordinary and necessary” for your business.  It’s possible that you have built your business with your dog as your brand which could make it “ordinary and necessary” if you frequently use him in your advertising and take him with you to events or to meet clients. 

However, keep in mind that you should keep great records such as describing the events your dog attends with you, photo shoots for ads, etc. In addition, I would consider documenting the hours the dog spends performing these advertising tasks.  Since I assume this dog is also a family pet, I would say that only a portion of the expenses are deductible and not 100% of expenses since the dog is not 100% for business use.

What a fun question! Congrats on your star dog! Ultimately, I’d like to explain that for certain situations there aren’t black or white answers. The best you can do is have great records and be ready to defend the question of how your dog adds value to your business and how his maintenance is an “ordinary and necessary” expense for your business.  Hope my answer was helpful!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies