Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

missing foreign bank interest in prior year filing

Hi,

I'm a canadian citizen who moved to the US and I hired an accountant for my 2022 taxes. While checking over those returns in preparation for filing this years returns I noticed that myself and the accountant forgot to include the interest earned from my canadian bank accounts and TFSA in the 1040 Schedule B. I asked the accountant if I should file an amended return but they recommended against it since the missing interest income is only about $300.

My questions are

1) I should include the 2023 interest income in my return this year correct? If I have multiple bank accounts within the same banking institution, should I be filling in a 1099INT for each account, or just combine them into a single 1099INT?

2) Is the accountants advice correct, or should I be pushing to file an amended return?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

To answer your questions: 

1. Yes, you need to include the 2023 interest income in my return this year. Report each 1099 int form separately. 

2. All income should be reported on your return. If you don't amend your 2022 return, you will probably receive a letter from the IRS to pay the amount you owe on your interest income +penalty and interest. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@AndreC1 , generally each tax year stands on its own.  Thus you should file an amended return recognize the  unreported income. Even though I do not know the full circumstances  and facts, I would prima facie disagree with the accountant  advice.( to not file an amended return)

General rule is  if your AGI or Taxable income  for the year does not change by amending a return, then there is no need to file.  It is just more paperwork to process.

Also did you pay any  taxes to Canada on this interest ?   That may also play into  your tax liabilities.

Is there more I can do for you?

Hi,

I did not pay Canadian taxes on the interest and the accountant did not file a Canadian tax return as I was a US tax resident.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Canadian taxes would have been a deduction for a foreign tax credit.

Your accountant was dismissive because the interest will generate less than $100 in taxes.  But he's not the one that has to pay any penalties or interest if you receive a notice from the IRS.  You should make that decision for yourself.

But definitely include the Canadian interest this year.

@AndreC1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies