Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mid-year change to quarterly filing

I worked at a W2 job the first 7 months of 2024. Now I’m independent. I don’t expect to earn a lot of revenue this first year; however, I will have CDs maturing and other interest income during this second half of 2024. My question is — if I have paid enough through withholdings Jan-July to cover the taxes on the rest of the year’s income, do I need to do anything at each quarterly deadline for this year? I do not want penalties for not paying on the interest income in the quarter it is earned. But I have prepaid. Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cindy4
Employee Tax Expert

If you have enough pre-paid to cover your entire year's income, you should be fine.

Congratulations on your move to independent contractor!  We have some great tools available for estimating taxes due when working independently.  Determine what to pay and when   and how to make estimated payments. 

You always want to keep in mind that your income tax liability will be based on your profit and you are responsible for both FICA- Social Security and Medicare - at a rate of 15.3% AND your income tax, which is based on your marginal rate.

Hope this helps!

Cindy

**Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
***Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on the "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LoriLeighEA
Employee Tax Expert

Thanks for joining us today, aelfa!

Congrats on going Independent. Yes, it is important to estimate what your taxes will be at the end of the year. Your best course of action is to use a tax calculator - we have a great one. Put in all your projected income (including the W2 income for those 7 months), and the estimated interest etc. Include any tax payments already made including that withholding. This will give you a clearer picture of where you stand: 

TaxCaster Tax Calculator

Cindy4
Employee Tax Expert

If you have enough pre-paid to cover your entire year's income, you should be fine.

Congratulations on your move to independent contractor!  We have some great tools available for estimating taxes due when working independently.  Determine what to pay and when   and how to make estimated payments. 

You always want to keep in mind that your income tax liability will be based on your profit and you are responsible for both FICA- Social Security and Medicare - at a rate of 15.3% AND your income tax, which is based on your marginal rate.

Hope this helps!

Cindy

**Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
***Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on the "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks! When I log in to TaxCaster, as a TurboTax customer, it just takes me to the "congratulations" page indicated I've finished filing for 2023. Is there some trick to using TaxCaster as an existing customer? 

LoriLeighEA
Employee Tax Expert

Sorry about that!

Let me make sure I sent you the right link:  TaxCaster 

Here is another calculator to try:

Self-employment Tax Calculator

They all still say 2023, but they are supposed to work for 2024.

Thanks for letting me know!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies