Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maximizing personal business deductions

Hi, my wife is a CRNA that works for a large hospital. She is planning on starting an LLC as an anesthesia provider in order to make additional money outside of her current job.

What kinds of things can we write off as business expenses? Eg car, gas, computer, internet etc 

What should be keeping track of if she is starting the LLC later in the year?

Can we include deductions before the LLC was created or only after it was created?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AbbyS
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions for a self-employed or contract anesthesia provider may include travel expenses, continuing education expenses, licensing fees, any work supplies, and home office expenses to name a few.  There could be many more.  To qualify as a deductible expense, the IRS states an expense must be “ordinary” and “necessary”.  

Yes, you may deduct startup expenses and organizational costs from before the LLC is created.  Once the LLC is created, I would suggest you open a bank account under the LLC’s name to process all income and expenses through that account.  This will make keeping track of all your business income and expenses much easier.

Besides keeping track of your expenses in your business bank account, I would also suggest taking note of your starting vehicle mileage, and keep track of each business-related trip in order to calculate your business vs personal mileage at the end of the year. 

If you’d like to take the home office deduction, you could also designate an area in your home that could be used exclusively and regularly for your wife’s work. This could mean the area where she writes her patient notes or does her admin work such as her bookkeeping. 

I hope these ideas helped!

This was very helpful. Thank you very much!! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies