Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

max 401K contribution

For 2023, I had employer sponsored 401K and i contributed the IRS max allowed investment of $22,500. I also have Rollover IRA account with ETrade where i have invested my previous 401K from my previous employers. In 2023, i contributed $6500 to Rollover IRA on top of $22,500 to employer sponsored 401K plan. Am i allowed to contribute this additional $6500 to Rollover IRA for 2023? I did not take any deductions when i filed my taxes for 2023. Please let me know if i can leave the additional $6500 contribution to IRA as-is or should i ask for refund of that money. Thank you. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

max 401K contribution

Yes, you ‌can contribute to both a 401(k) and an IRA in the same year, but your contribution deductions may be limited based on your modified AGI.

For 2023, if you are covered by a retirement plan at work, your deduction for contributions to a traditional IRA is reduced (phased out) if your modified AGI is:

• More than $116,000 but less than $136,000 for a married couple filing a joint return or a qualifying surviving spouse,
  • More than $73,000 but less than $83,000 for a single individual or head of household, or
  • Less than $10,000 for a married individual filing a separate return.

See Publication 590-A (2023), Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)

Additionally, for 2023, the most that can be contributed to your traditional IRA is generally the smaller of the following amounts.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies