Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married filing jointly total household income

For the last 2 years, we seem to be paying more to the federal and we think it may have something to do with how my wife filled out her W4 with her employer. I’m still unsure how it works. I guess my question is…We are married filing jointly. I have one full-time job and my wife has one full-time job, if we both need to fill out a W4 for each Employer, do we need to input our combined (or think we will be making) income for the year in Step 2(b) section 1 for both employers W4’s? I think that’s where we screwed up.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
drc845443
Employee Tax Expert

Married filing jointly total household income

Each spouse needs to complete a W-4 form to submit to their employer so that the employer can use this to calculate the amounts to withhold.

Instead of completing the W-4 forms manually, you can use the W4 calculator to generate the forms for each spouse. Here is the link to the W-4 calculator: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

The amount you enter in Section 1 is derived from the table in Section 4 based on your separate annual incomes. You should complete the rest of step 2 in line with the instructions on page 3 of the W-4.
After that, only the spouse with the higher paying job needs to complete steps 3 and 4 on their W-4.

@Andrew404 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies