Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lodging expense for a home that I own

I own a second home, and I travel there for both work and personal reasons.  Can I charge lodging expense (published lodging per diem perhaps) when I stay there solely for work?  Usage is approximately 60/40 work vs personal.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
mirthaguer
Employee Tax Expert

Not quite sure I understand your question.  Is the second home a vacation or a rental property.? Why do you travel to your second home and work there.  Lodging expenses are deductible  only   if  the travel is to see a client, not just because you are traveling.   Just traveling to your second home and working part of the time in your second  home  does not constitute  business travel.     The deductibility of travel expenses is not if you are travelling and you happen to work, but the travel is to see a client  or some other business reason that you must travel to the place.

I inherited a house 500 miles away from my home.  I travel there for personal reasons to visit three of my children who live about 150 miles away from that house.  I also stay there to attend extended family functions at that house several times a year. 

I am the majority owner of a C Corp that controls real estate within 15 miles of my inherited house.  I travel and stay there several days a month to meet with contractors, meet with a rental agent, purchase new property, and repair, renovate and maintain existing corporate property.  

There are some trips that include both personal and business purposes, but most are clearly either one or the other.

KimberW
Employee Tax Expert

Based on the additional detail, you can deduct the cost of your trips to manage your C-Corp and its property as a business deduction. The expenses for trips that combine personal and business purposes would need to be prorated depending on the amount of time spent on each purpose during the trip.

And you (as the homeowner) could certainly charge rent to the C-Corp when a C-Corp employee/owner is using the house for business purposes. The per diem rate could be a useful way to set a nightly rate. But then, you (as homeowner) would have to report that income on your personal return.

Your company cannot deduct an expense that it doesn't incur, however. If your company actually pays for your lodging for a business trip, it can deduct that expense. But whoever receives that payment for lodging -- whether a hotel or you as the homeowner -- will have income to report.

Thank you for participating in this event!

-- KimberW

Thank you for participating in this event!
-- KimberW

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies