Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bethkaf1

LLC vs SCorp

I have been filing as a single member LLC since 2011 when I started my business. I just found out I am an S-Corp but I want to remain an LLC.  When I called the IRS they said they could only advise I file forms 941 and 940. They also said something about SS4-8832. Now what?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

LLC vs SCorp

How did you not know that you were an S corporation? 

Generally, you would have had to file a Form 2553 to make an election to be taxed as an S corporation.

If you are an S corporation, see the IRS link below. 

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/revoking-a-subchapter-s-election

LLC vs SCorp

LLCs are State Organizations. 

An S-Corp is a IRS Tax Designation. 

Your LLC organization type does not change based on your Tax Designation. 

You can be a sole proprietor, a partnership or an S-Corp with an LLC. 

As a single member LLC, I believe you are taxed as a Sole proprietor unless you make the S-Corp election as stated by the other member.  You have a window to make that election.  FYI...I am not a tax accountant. 

LLC vs SCorp

at the time of formation it would be a single member LLC taxed as a disregarded entity. at that time you would file form 8832 toe elect to have the entity taxed as a corporation and form 2553 to elect to have the corporation taxed as an s-corp.

LLC vs SCorp

You only have to file one or the other; 8832 for a C corporation or 2553 for an S corporation (no need to file an 8832 and a 2553).

LLC vs SCorp

Without more facts, we can only tell you to see an experienced tax professional.

LLCs are state-level business designations.  Each state had different rules on how to form an LLC and what paperwork is required.  The IRS does not recognize LLCs as a separate kind of tax entity.  If you are a single-member LLC in your state, you file a federal tax return as a sole proprietor on schedule C.  If your LLC has more than one member, you file your federal tax return as a partnership.

S-corp is a federally designated type of business with uniform rules across all states.  There are specific procedures you must use to create an S-corporation.

There is also a hybrid option--you can have an LLC but choose (elect) to file your tax returns as if you are an S-corp.  This requires filing a specific form with the IRS.

So ultimately, your question makes no sense.  You can't be an LLC or an S-corp without filing specific paperwork when you create the business.  Only you know what you actually did when you started the business.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies