turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it normal to have a CA capital loss carryover but not a regular capital loss carryover?

Im finding an amount on my schedule D for a "CA capital loss", but not a regular capital loss carryover.

For trying to calculate the capital loss carryover, I am not seeing even a line 15 or 16 to calculate this.

Is this normal to have only CA capital loss and not capital loss carryover?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Is it normal to have a CA capital loss carryover but not a regular capital loss carryover?

I asked for some clarifying information in my previous post but I will answer here also. My question is, are you looking for the California capital loss amount in 2022? if so, and if you used Turbo Tax in 2022, it is reported Line 6 on the California Schedule D form for this year.

If it isn't reported there, you may need to get this information from your 2022 California Schedule D to report in this year's return if this is the goal you are trying to achieve. You may also look at at the Federal Schedule D form on line 14 to see if there is amount listed because this is where prior year's carryovers are reported. 

As far as calculating, what is it you are trying to calculate?  if your issue is trying to determine what carryover to report in 2023, you may need to look at your 2022 returns to determine what amount to report this year. You can look at your federal Schedule D as well as your Ca Schedule D to determine if you had a carryover to 2023. You shouldn't need to calculate anything. Either you had a carryover in 2022 or you didn't.

No, a CA capital loss and federal should be the same.  I can't think of any instances why these would be different.

Lastly, tell us what you are trying to achieve so we can give you the best advice possible. Be specific in your reply.

@Sorakairi89 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies