Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Xiws
Level 1

Is any portion of educational travel eligible for deduction?

I'm a pastor, and will be going on a trip to Greece and Turkey. The trip focuses on historical sites and events.  This will improve my preaching and teaching, and I will be leading classes afterward on about the trip and all the related places.  I am not, obviously, meeting with clients, making sales, etc.  Purely educational.
Given that, is any portion of this trip deductible, and which/how? 

Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MariaDG1
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately, no. Many churches provide trips to pastors as 'continuing education' or to 'enhance their ministry, but under current IRS rules there is no tax deduction allowed for such trips. Per IRC 274(m)(2) ”no deduction shall be allowed under this chapter for expenses for travel as a form of education "

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MariaDG1
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately, no. Many churches provide trips to pastors as 'continuing education' or to 'enhance their ministry, but under current IRS rules there is no tax deduction allowed for such trips. Per IRC 274(m)(2) ”no deduction shall be allowed under this chapter for expenses for travel as a form of education "

Cindy4
Employee Tax Expert

Travel outside of North America has to satisfy specified standards to be deductible.  It's possible a portion may be deductible if you have an ordinary and necessary business purpose.  You're not meeting with clients or performing services, but if you're attending any conferences or seminars , that portion would be deductible if it meets the reasonableness test  . 

Be sure to keep good records of what were the business related events and which were personal.  The IRS will require substantiation of the expenses.  Things like receipts and logs.       

Be safe and have fun!

Cindy  

**Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
***Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on the "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies