Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Inventory Reporting

If I have hundreds of units for sale, do I have to report expenses and profits on each item, or can I have monthly or yearly totals in a spreadsheet to report on taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
mirthaguer
Employee Tax Expert

Inventory Reporting

Your question is you have hundreds of units for sale and would like o know if you have to report profits by item.

Basically when you are a developer selling homes you generally keep the cost by property. (or some other very high priced item). For a business selling many products such as a hardware, of a plumbing supply selling many items you do not need to keep the information by item.    Generally you will have a beginning inventory from the prior  year, you will add all the inventory purchases and deduct your ending inventory. You need to be able to have an end of year inventory.  Since computers have become very sophisticated and accounting programs have the ability to segregate assets by category you can separate sales and cost of sales by category. That is for management purposes only.  There is a section 263A Called Uniform Capitalization Rule that requires companies  with average sales for the last 3 years  in excess of 25 million to capitalize direct cost as well as a share of indirect costs.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies