Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

julie-a

Incorrect 1099 Wages

What should I do if my boss knowingly issued a 1099 overstating my wages? I asked for them to correct it and they have not done so. They have treated company expense reimbursements as taxable income. The overstatement definitely affects my tax returns. How should I address this on my tax return? Can I report them for misrepresenting my income? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Jackstar221
Employee Tax Expert

Incorrect 1099 Wages

Hi, 

To address the 1099 on your tax return, report the amount that is shown on the 1099 form. You can ask for a corrected 1099 form from your boss to try to get it fixed before the 10/15/24 extension deadline.

You can file a complaint with the IRS using Form 3949-A 

You may also contact the IRS directly by phone.

If the return needs to be amended later within TurboTax to enter a corrected form 1099, then it can be amended within the TurboTax software. Here is a TurboTax article regarding amending a tax return:

TurboTax How to File An Amended Tax Return with the IRS 

julie-a

Incorrect 1099 Wages

I understand. So if the 1099 I received has the incorrect amount, I am to ignore that amount and put the actual correct amount on my return? They will not match. Do I print a different 1099? Will this cause issues? I can file a complaint. What if the boss never corrects the 1099 to reflect the true amount?

Jackstar221
Employee Tax Expert

Incorrect 1099 Wages

Hi,

No, please enter the 1099 amount on the return, as it is shown on the 1099 that the boss provided to you.

If the boss provides you a corrected 1099, you can amend later.

Perhaps the boss will give you the corrected 1099 before the 10/15/24 extension deadline, so I suggest holding off on filing the return until then. You can discuss this directly with the IRS by phone, or by using IRS Form 3949-A 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies