Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

income has increased

I have been paying the required estimated taxes based on last year's income.  However, my self-employed income has increased considerably since last year.  Will I be penalized for not paying enough taxes up front?  Should I increase the last two estimated payments that I send in??

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TeriH
Employee Tax Expert

income has increased

Congrats on more income!

If you're making more income than you previous forecast, you need to true up the forecast.  You can use TurboTax Calculator to assist in that process.  The IRS is a pay as you go system.  So, calculate the year to date amount that you'll owe and put in the additional to true it up, with this quarter's payment.   Don't delay on the true up.

There are safe harbor rules that may preclude you from owing a penalty.  In general, taxpayers don’t have to pay a penalty if they meet any of these conditions:

• They owe less than $1,000 in tax with their tax return.
  • Throughout the year, they paid the smaller of these two amounts:
    • at least 90 percent (however, see 2018 Penalty Relief, below) of the tax for the current year
    • 100 percent of the tax shown on their tax return for the prior year – this can increase to 110 percent based on adjusted gross income

However, if you do get caught short, If your income varied during the year because, for example if the increased income came late in the year, , you may be able to lower or eliminate the amount of one or more required installments by using the annualized income installment method. You will be able to use IRS Form 2210, Schedule AI to figure the required installments to enter on Form 2210, Part III, line 10.

TurboTax has some great self employed calculators that can help with that.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies