Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I own two rental properties, (Single family homes) is that considered QBI? Turbotax guide is useless in this regard.

If I own two rental properties, (Single family homes) is that considered QBI?  Turbotax guide is useless in this regard saying "maybe", the IRS is unclear.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KimberW
Employee Tax Expert

If I own two rental properties, (Single family homes) is that considered QBI? Turbotax guide is useless in this regard.

It depends. The determination of whether any business is considered Qualified Business Income is dependent on your specific facts and circumstances.

For rental properties, there are specific guidelines that the IRS published to provide a "safe harbor" determination. If you follow those guidelines, then you can take advantage of this "safe harbor" and use the QBI deduction for your rental properties. The full Revenue Procedure can be found here: IRS Rev Proc 2019-38 but that is pretty dense reading.

We have a great article that summarizes the IRS Rev Proc and other guidelines for determining whether QBI applies or not: Can I get the QBI deduction on rental income? 

One of the most common scenarios that would prevent rental property from being QBI is: a single-family dwelling rented out for a year or more in which there is little or no interaction between the landlord and the tenants other than periodically collecting rent and the occasional repair.

But, there are other rules for real-estate professionals and for people who provide enough hours of specified kinds of services for their rental properties that would make QBI available. All of that information is summarized in the article link above. If you still have questions after reading through that, please reply with more facts about your specific scenario so that we can provide additional information.

Thank you for participating in this event!

-- KimberW

Thank you for participating in this event!
-- KimberW

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies